Sunday, April 19, 2009

last weekend on internship number one

Above is a Coloradoan photo archive of me when I played
Sterling Silver in a PB&J Company musical, I was 14.

Well the weekend has finally arrived. My last weekend as a reporting intern with the Fort Collins Coloradoan. It's a bittersweet ending to an invaluable experience.



A few of my thoughts about the process:


  • I was given more responsibility than I ever knew an intern could get even from day 1

  • I recognize the importance of living and knowing the city that you are reporting on

  • I understand different editors value different styles, but that a good story transcends most individual preferences

  • A story is only as good as you want it to be. The story is how the reporter says it to a large degree

A couple of negative things



  • I wish I had had a reporter-mentor in order to pace my improvement and understand more fully how I was supposed to operate at times.

  • -or- another intern. It would have been good, for me, to have had that competitiveness in order to motivate my improvement better

  • The industry really is walking on egg shells. Editors are quitting, newsroom chatter about job security and if the newspaper is even going to print tomorrow is common. Journalism is fabulous, but the industry is trapezing over a fault line.

que sara sara.



On to new and more full-time things!


I recently was offered, and accepted, a Scripps Howard Foundation internship and will be working as a full-time news reporter for the Boulder Daily Camera this summer for 10 weeks. I get paid $3,000 up front and am awarded a $1,000 scholarship towards next year's tuition. I am excited because I know there will be at least one other full-time intern working with me and I think that together we can foster some really innovative and investigative stories. Also, according to those who are finishing up their reporting internships with the Daily Camera now (who are in my reporting 3 class), you often get a couple of days to work on a story. Yay. Some real time to work with a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment