Tuesday, August 4, 2009

reflection on the internship

So right now I am the only intern working for the Daily Camera.

I have seen five interns, count 'em one, two, three, four, five, come and go during my time here - but now I man the post solo.

I have benefited greatly from working with a diligent staff and many editors determined to producing a quality newspaper each morning. I find that the aggressiveness in reporting here is a step above, and that when all the bases aren't covered, that simply doesn't cut it here.

I like the challenge of reporting and writing to those sorts of standards. I also feel as though I have a much better understanding about how to write about court and criminal issues, which have a very particular language, since becoming the Night Cops Reporter.

The internship ends soon, and yes, I am excited. But the end is bittersweet. I could see myself working for the Daily Camera. I like being in the know about local events, talking to interesting people, working on deadline and constantly feeling that rushed feeling of being a Type A person in a Type A job.

No comments:

Post a Comment