Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 5 in the office

Today is my fifth day as a Coloradoan intern.

So far I have covered a variety of news briefs, a local Palestinian protest, a local High School charity garage sale, and a profile story on a 300 pound pig.

Today has been slow in the office. Sundays are not only God's day of rest, but the newsroom's too. Only an editor and I occupy the office sapce, built for maybe 70 employees. I have sat at my desk all afternoon, doing a variety of odds and ends tasks, awaiting my real assignment which begnis tonight at 6:30 p.m. - an MLK speech/dance/festival thing.

At my desk, through my north facing window seat, I have watched the Fort Collins landscape slowly fade into sunset.

But not all work has been slow.
Everyday I come to the office I learn a new thing, or am signed up for a new program: national wire sites, coloradoan webmail and news ed desk work. Today I attended the news meeting at 3:30 and watched those present discuss what tomorrow's paper should/might/probably will look like and the details of which stories hold the most importance to the Fort Collins community.

I also now have a Coloradoan blog as well. You can check it out on the Fort Collins Coloradoan site, www.coloradoan.com.

Also, check out a few of my articles.

Gotta go. I'm going to do some background work for tonight's MLK story. I think i'll look up the cookies on the keynote speaker as well as some background info on the church that is sponsoring the event.

Love from the intern. And a bit of a hunger growl...

No comments:

Post a Comment